This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Friday, October 18, 2013

Sweet Potato Cottage Pie (Paleo Freezer Meal)

Cottage pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. It is also one of my go-to meals. Its pretty easy to make and I usually have the ingredients on hand.

Follow me on Instagram (@coreysuzanne) for more inspiration (and some cute kiddo pics too!)

When I did my Whole30, I was craving cottage pie and just had to figure out some way to replace the white potatoes in the classic Irish/English dish. I had seen a recipe for sweet potato cottage pie somewhere on Pinterest (follow me!) but it was made with sugary, cinnamon cream cheese. That was not an option. So, I came up with this recipe instead.

The mustard knocks the sweetness of the potatoes down a notch and gives this dish a great savory flavor. This is such a cozy dinner. If you use a cast iron skillet or a dutch oven and bake the sweet potatoes you can even get away with making this dish in one pot! Easy clean up!


I have made extra baked sweet potatoes one night and the next night made this cottage pie. Baked sweet potatoes peel extremely easily and  you don't have to reheat them because you are going to toss the whole thing in the oven away!

I am all about freezer meals. Its essential to have some meals made that I can toss in the oven when I don't have time or energy or focus to make anything else. I have had a hard time finding paleo friendly meals that work in the freezer. I am working on a list and would love to hear what you make for your hectic nights. This sweet potato cottage pie is fabulous as a freezer meal. It heats up perfectly!

Check out my stash of freezer meals! Perfect for crazy (or lazy) nights.
This recipe makes enough for a family of four. For my family of 2 adults and 2 kiddos I just split the recipe into two pans and have two meals made and ready to go. Usually I will make the full recipe and put half into an aluminum loaf pan and stick it in the freezer and serve the other half for dinner.

As always, I have listed the onion as optional because I just don't ever add onion to my cooking. I do usually add a bit of onion powder for flavor. Also, technically lima beans and peas are not paleo-approved. If you are affected by legumes don't add them. 


I really hope you enjoy this dish. I love it and I am really excited to share it with you! Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of the recipe. Feel free to share this recipe on your blog. This is an original recipe so, I just ask that you link back to my blog. Also, share it on Pinterest, Instagram (#domestic360), and Facebook.

xoxo,
Coco


Sweet Potato Cottage Pie

  • 1 pound ground beef (grass-fed) could use ground lamb for Shepherds Pie
  • 1 cup sliced carrots (or about 2 large carrots)
  • 1 cup sliced celery (or about 2 large stalks)
  • 1 cup frozen lima beans or peas (leave out for strictly paleo meal)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (or 2 large cloves)
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive  oil
  • 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons stake seasoning (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

  • 2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces or baked
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons coarse ground horseradish mustard
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large skillet (or dutch oven) set to medium-high heat, drizzle enough olive oil in the pan to lightly coat the bottom. Add the chopped garlic and onion. Saute until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is translucent. Add the ground beef and brown.

Add carrots, celery, Worcestershire sauce, stake seasoning, bay leaf, water, salt and pepper to the skillet. Cover and let simmer until the carrots and celery are cooked. 

Meanwhile, boil a salted pot of water and add the sweet potatoes. Boil until cooked through. (Alternatively: stab raw sweet potatoes with a fork all around. bake at 400F for 45 minutes to an hour or until tender. Peal when cool enough to handle.) Drain and return to the pot or a large mixing bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes and add coconut milk, mustard, salt and pepper.

Transfer the beef mixture to a casserole dish (or leave in the skillet if using cast iron or dutch oven). Spoon mashed sweet potatoes over the beef and smooth out to cover the beef.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes become a little crusty.

FREEZER MEAL OPTION
Prepare as directed above, except transfer beef to an aluminum baking dish and top with sweet potatoes. Cover with tin-foil and label. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat: Preheat oven to 425F. Leave foil on and bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until heated through and sweet potatoes are a little crusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment