This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte in the Crockpot! (paleo - no dairy or refined sugars)

I hope you all are enjoying your fall as much as I have been. I have been loving the cool weather, the subsequent warm clothes, the changing leaves and the pumpkin flavors. I have been posting a lot of pumpkin recipes as of late, mostly because I LOVE pumpkin flavors.

Here is another pumpkin recipe for your enjoyment! This time its a healthy pumpkin spice latte. Yes, that's right, HEALTHY! The lattes you get at any coffee shop are full of nasty things for your body. Preservatives, corn syrup, sugar, oils, dairy, etc... Yuck, yuck, yuck. (Okay, I will admit that I love the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Sbux, but my body does not.) This recipe is made with whole and nutritious ingredients: coconut milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coffee and spices. All natural and yummy!

I made this in the crock pot for a Harry Potter movie night. We have been working through the Harry Potter series with a friend and my little brother. Its been a blast. I've read the books quite a few times and seen the movies just as many. I am a unrepentant Potterhead. My brother, on the other hand, hasn't read the books (goes against everything I hold dear to let him watch the movie before reading the book, but he is not a reader) so its been so fun to watch him experience the stories for the first time.

There were a few people at our movie showing that are not concerned with healthy eating, and are usually totally turned off by food that is actually good for their bodies. I didn't even tell them this was a paleo drink and they didn't notice. My little J, who is a coffee addict at two years old, loved this latte too.

This recipe made enough for the five of us enjoying the movie and about three cups for me to enjoy over the following days. The original recipe called for a really small amount of coffee and I thought that wasn't enough, so I changed that amount. I also added some maple syrup because I thought it needed a hint of sweetness. I served this with homemade whipped cream that I had in the refrigerator. Usually I would serve something like this with whipped coconut cream, but I had the whipped cream and it tasted lovely.

I would totally recommend this recipe for a cool fall day, perfect for a pumpkin carving party or trick-or-treating. I can just imagine sitting around a bonfire with a cup of this yummy drink and some roasted marshmallows. Throw in a little guitar and an impromptu sing-a-long and you have the perfect fall evening.

It would be so yummy with these paleo pumpkin chocolate chip muffins or this paleo pumpkin bread. Its great hot and chilled. I just put the leftovers into some travel coffee mugs and stuck it in the fridge. When I needed a pick-me-up through out the day I had a gourmet latte ready and waiting. The original recipe says you can make this on the stove top, but that it is better in the crock pot because the flavors have more time to meld. I haven't tried it on the stove top, but I am sure it would be fine.

What are your favorite pumpkin recipes? Leave a comment and let me know!

Happy fall!!

XOXO,
Coco



Pumpkin Spice Latte [paleo - no dairy or refined sugars]
(recipe adapted from Wellness Mama)
  • 4 cups of Unsweetened Coconut Milk (or 2 cans of coconut milk)
  • ¼ cup canned pumpkin (without added sugar) 
  • 2 tablespoons of natural vanilla extract
  • ½-1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice ( or ½ tsp cinnamon and a sprinkle of cloves and nutmeg)
  • 4 cup of strong coffee
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • Optional topping: whipped cream or coconut cream (recipes follow)
Pour all ingredients except heavy cream into crock pot. Use immersion blender or whisk to mix well.

Turn crock pot on low for 2 hours until hot and flavors are incorporated.

Top with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream. Serve hot or chilled.

Whipped Cream: In a chilled mixing bowl whip 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Whip with a mixer or by hand until stiff peaks form. Do not over whip or you will have butter instead of whipped cream.

Whipped Coconut Cream: Put a can of full-fat coconut milk (more info on coconut milk) in the fridge for a few hours. When it has chilled remove the can from the fridge without shaking or jostling too much. Open the can and scoop out the white cream and fat that has risen to the top, be careful not to get the cloudy liquid that has settled to the bottom of the can. Now whip the creamy white coconut cream until you have whipped cream consistency. You can add a small amount of vanilla if you wish.



Other paleo pumpkin recipes:


paleo pumpkin bread
paleo pumpkin chocolate chip muffins


No comments:

Post a Comment