This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan option)

I have said before that I am a little scared to try new paleo muffin and quick bread recipes, because they often end up tasting much more like a souffle than a muffin. There is just too much egg texture and flavor for my palate. I have been on a success streak with my paleo baking as of late (see Paleo Pumpkin Bread, and Peach Blueberry Nutty Crisp) and I am gung-ho to try some other recipes!


This is a new recipe from PaleOMG (super great paleo blog, check it out!). I haven't ever had pumpkin flavors with chocolate and I was a little apprehensive. I know, I know. How silly of me. Of course chocolate goes with pumpkin. Chocolate goes with [pretty much] everything! 


These muffins turned out wonderfully! I made five regular sized muffins and nine mini muffins for the little one. J loved them and ate about 6 mini muffins before breakfast was over. I just love that I can give him such healthy food and he will gobble it up!


Once I gotten into making these muffins I realized I only had two eggs and the recipe called for three. Luckily, I remembered having read about replacing eggs in baked goods with chia seeds, this is a popular vegan replacement. When mixed with water, chia seeds form a sort of thick jelly very similar to raw eggs. For replacing eggs you grind up the chia seeds (I used our coffee grinder) and mix with water. I did this for one of the eggs called for in the recipe and used my other two regular eggs. I am pretty sure that if you wanted to make this recipe vegan you could just use the chia seed concoction for all three eggs. 

Here is the recipe for vegan egg replacement with chia seeds:

3 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds (use white chia seeds if making something light in color)

Mix water and chia seed meal together with a small whisk or a fork in a small bowl. Let congeal for about 5-10 minutes, or until it is the consistency of a raw egg. Makes one egg replacement


These muffins are wonderful warm with a hot cup of coffee or a glass of apple cider. I love the way the spices play off of the chocolate, it kind of like a Mexican hot chocolate. The pumpkin is subtle and lovely, just the right amount of sweetness. Oh the wonderful, wonderful flavors of fall!


Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
(original recipe from PaleOMG)

  • ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
  • 3 eggs, whisked
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ⅛ teaspoon powdered ginger
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • ½ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
Mix together wet ingredients in a bowl: pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
In another bowl, whisk together coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, powdered ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon scoop batter into lined or greased muffin pans. 
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment