I posted this pic on Instagram and Facebook about a month ago with this caption:
"Roasted spaghetti squash with Greek chicken, tomatoes, spinach, feta cheese and pine nuts. Food porn! Who wants the recipe?"
Got a lot of people asking for the recipe. My mother-in-law even texted me for the recipe the next day so she could make it for dinner.
I had every intention of getting the recipe up here on Domestic 360 ASAP, and it just hasn't happened until now. No excuses, just haven't gotten around to it. Other posts took priority. I am finally getting around to posting this really easy, super yummy and healthy dinner recipe.
If you want to make this a Paleo dish, just leave out the pine buts and cut back on the cheese.
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Greek Chicken
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained of most of the liquid
- 1 bag of fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning (I used Pampered Chef but you can make your own using this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- a few drizzles of extra virgin olive oil (the really good stuff!)
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar, or balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (I didn't include because we don't like onions)
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
- 1/2 cup slivered Kalamata olives (no pits, obviously)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (or a little more according to your tastes)
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut the squash in half long way. Scrape out the seeds and the bit of stringy flesh that surrounds the seeds. I usually use a grapefruit spoon for this. Put the two squash halves cut side up in a glass baking dish. brush the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add about one inch of water to the baking dish. Bake at 425F, until the squash is tender, about 45 minutes to one hour.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute garlic and onions with some olive oil until tender and onion is translucent. Add chicken, Greek seasoning, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook until done, no pink!
Add tomatoes, spinach and bell peppers and cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, pine nuts and olives.
Once the squash is cooked, scrape the flesh to loosen the strands. Fill the squash with the chicken mixture and top with lots of feta cheese. Put it back in the oven and bake until the cheese just starts to brown.