This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Friday, July 26, 2013

My Whole 30 Journey - Bacon-Wrapped Dates

The first time I had bacon-wrapped dates was at a potluck game night for our Bible study group. The couple who brought them was new to our group and I remember thinking, I want to be best friends with these people!

As the world knows, everything is better with bacon. Sandwiches, salads, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, and dates. Dates are INCREDIBLE with bacon. Practically from heaven. The naturally sweet and chewy dates get caramelized and are offset by the crunchy and salty bacon. Seriously, a flavor explosion in your mouth!

Some people stuff the dates with cheese or other wonderful foods before wrapping them with the bacon, but I can't bring myself to experiment with perfection.

I made these for J's one year Robot Birthday Party, doubled the recipe and they were gone. Since then I have made them for various parties, dinners, get-togethers, and just as a treat for my family. When I started the Whole30 and learned of the wonders of fat (rejoice, fat is good for you!), I was thrilled! I made a batch of these bacon-wrapped dates to snack on. As usual, between the hubs, J and I, they didn't last long.

These are really easy to put together, its just bacon and dates for goodness sake! Out of sheer laziness, I usually don't even use toothpicks. Be warned though, if you don't use toothpicks some of your dates will escape from the bacon while cooking.

Bacon-Wrapped Dates
(original recipe YUMSUGAR)

  • 1 16 oz. package of regular thickness bacon, cut into thirds (see note about bacon)
  • 1 8 oz. package of pitted dates
Preheat oven to 350 F. Position oven rack in the center position. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil.

Wrap a piece of bacon around a date. Secure with a toothpick, or  make sure the bacon seam is placed facing downwards on the cookie sheet pressing firmly so it is less likely to unravel. Repeat until all the dates are wrapped in bacon.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp. Let cool for 10-15 minutes for serving.

Makes 25-30 bacon wrapped dates.


Note About Bacon: Most packaged bacon is made with sugar. Check your labels. We get our pork and beef from my cousin's farm so we don't worry about how the animals are treated or what they are fed. There is an officially Whole30 Approved Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment