This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Whole30 Journey - Conclusion

This has been a crazy Whole30 Journey. I have learned a lot about the food I eat, the way my body reacts to that food, and they way I want my body to react. I have also given into the fact that what I eat makes a HUGE difference in my day to day life.

I started this journey thinking that I was a pretty healthy eater. I was on the "everything in moderation" diet and was pretty happy with the way things were going. I ate a lot of fruits and veggies, a good mix of whole grains and tried to replace meat at least twice a week with beans or the like. I had the occasional stomach or head ache. I slept poorly (could be attributed to my children), and got that midday nap craving. But I was fairly certain that none of these things were diet related.

WRONG!

Once I got into the Whole30, around the start of Week 3, I stared feeling amazing. No intense cravings, no aches and pains, so sleeplessness or midday crash. I loved the food I was cooking and eating. You can read more about this in my weekly updates: Week 1Week 2Week 3, and Week 4.

The Reintroduction process was extremely informative. As much as I wanted to dive into a block of cheese at the end of my 30 days, I didn't want to waist all of that hard work. I had spent 30 days cleaning out my system, I didn't want that all to go down the drain. I am really glad I did the reintroduction because I learned where my stomach aches and sleeplessness were coming from. You can read all about my reintroduction process and what I learned here.

I will be honest, I haven't kept to a paleo diet since completing my reintroduction. I have lapsed back into my old habits. I am blaming it on being on vacation and then at the county fair for a week and I know that when we go to the beach in September I am not even going to try. I am considering doing another Whole30 after we get home from the beach, just to restart. I have noticed a difference in my body and I want to get back to paleo si I can start feeling awesome again.

I am a all or nothing kind of girl. I need structure. I can't say, "Oh, I'll just have a small piece of cake." or "A little pasta won't hurt." Before I know it the whole pot is gone. In a way it was easier to be on the strict Whole30 because I had a plan and a goal. I am thinking that I need to be strict with myself and perhaps have a designated "cheat day." But even then, I think, grain-free will be a goal.

I would like my cousin, Tee, tons of credit for getting me to go on this journey. She is truly an inspiration. She has taken this on so fully that many of my other family members (8 to date) have started their own Whole30 journeys. She has seen many more wonderful and amazing results than most people, and I am hoping to get her to do a guest post about her experience. (Hint, hint!)

So many people have asked me if I thought this journey was worth it, and the answer is an overwhelming, YES! I would recommend the Whole30 to everyone and anyone. I have learned so much about my body and my eating habits. It was so worth a month without cheese. I would especially recommend the Whole30 to anyone with unexplained issues, i.e., breakouts, stomach aches, migraines, joint pain, sleeplessness, etc...

Seriously, its only 30 days. You can do this! Take a line from Nike, and "Just Do It!"

I would love to hear if you are taking on your own Whole30 Journey. Please leave a comment, let me know what you think.


XOXO,
Coco





No comments:

Post a Comment