This blog is no longer hosted on this site. Check out the new and improved Domestic360 at domestic360life.com for even more DIYs, recipes, and fashion tips!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Savannah Bag

My wonderful niece, Savannah, just started preschool and her mom asked me to make her a bag to put her folders and papers into. I had such a good time picking out the fun fabrics and ribbons. 


The only problem I had while making this bag is that my niece has such a long name that it was had to make it fit. The original plan was to write her name with fabric applique letters diagonally across the bag... Yeah, there was no way that was going to happen. So, I ended up adding a strip of fabric around the bottom of the bag and just painting the letters on. I like the way it turned out.



I used the tutorial  for The Twenty Minute Tote from Molly's Sketchbook over at the Purl Bee. (P.S. I love the Purl Bee Blog, check them out for some great inspiration!) I modified the pattern a little, added some ribbons to the top of the bag, added the fabric stripe to the bottom, and made the straps out of fabric instead of using webbing. Its a super easy and quick pattern, and the tutorial is really clear and simple to follow.


I also made a little pompom flower that can be pinned to the bag or be a hair clip! Just cut out a bunch of little circles of fabric. Fold them into quarters, stick a threaded needle through the corner of each folder circle and bunch them all up at the end of the thread. Loop the needle through the whole bunch a few times to secure and then knot. Add a small circle of felt to the back of  the pompom, stitch a safety pin to the felt and hot glue on a small hair clip. That's it! Easy!
(Jude didn't like having a flower in his hair)


No comments:

Post a Comment